NPR NEWS HEADLINES
News headlines delivered daily from NPR.org.
February 22, 2011
Rescuers Dig For New Zealand Earthquake Survivors
February 22, 2011 – A powerful earthquake struck Christchurch, one of New Zealand’s biggest cities, Tuesday at the height of a busy workday, toppling tall buildings and churches, crushing buses and killing at least 65 people in one of the country’s worst natural disasters.
Rebels Claim To Control Eastern Libya Amid Turmoil
February 22, 2011 – A Libya-Egypt border post was controlled Tuesday by armed men who described themselves as “free Libyan troops.” There were no signs of police or any Libyan authorities. Moammar Gadhafi appeared on state TV to show he was still in charge.
Battles May Cripple A Weakened Labor Movement
February 22, 2011 – Anti-union efforts are cropping up in many states. And with Republicans in the ascendancy in many statehouses, they have the upper hand against unions, which are traditionally allied with Democrats.
Four Americans On Hijacked Yacht Killed By Somali Pirates, CENTCOM Says
February 22, 2011 – The yacht Quest was hijacked Friday off the coast of Oman. A U.S. Navy warship that was trailing the yacht heard gunfire and boarded the vessel Monday.
Silver Star Recipient A Reluctant Hero
Chicago Voters Head To Polls To Replace Mayor Daley
In Bahrain, Protesters Look For Signs Of Change
NBA’s Knicks Reportedly Get Anthony In Major Trade
A Lease On Solar Panels? Some States Pitch In
Bump In Auto Sales Boosts Consumer Morale, TV Ads
- Do a Free Simple Thorough Background Check (pochp.wordpress.com)
- NPR Saturday Weekend Edition story about Russia (ambermartingale.wordpress.com)
- Andy Carvin on NPR’s All Things Considered: The Revolution Will Be Tweeted (offonatangent.blogspot.com)
- UPDATE 1-Tremors strike eathquake-prone central Chile (reuters.com)
- “Christchurch Eathquake – Again!” and related posts (newzeal.blogspot.com)